Monday, March 16, 2015

Ajua...That's Yahoo in Spanish.

The secret to great salsa is to dry roast everything in a skillet. The dry heat blisters and chars the skins on the tomato and hot peppers. The sugars in the fruits caramelize, creating a mellow, rich, and slightly smoky flavor profile. Try it out, it's well worth the extra time and effort. I do my tomatoes, and chilies in batches, at the end I also sear my onion and garlic. I place them in a glass bowl to cool, and when I am able, I remove as much of the blackened skin as reasonably possible. Please use the ripest and highest quality tomatoes you can find...nothing worse than anemic tomatoes. When you are ready to process your salsa, you can either use a molcajete, which is Mexican mortar and pestle or a food processor set to pulse. Add sea salt to taste and chopped cilantro for brightness if you wish.

 







 Please feel free to experiment with different peppers and tomatoes, my recipe is a classic template you can elaborate on, as you wish. Salsa Roja Mexicana is delicious on everything from eggs, to chips, to grilled fish....Ajua!

No comments:

Post a Comment