Friday, May 22, 2015

Liz Taylor inspired look.

In the effort to save time, I will start this post with a couple of pictures of the finished look. I used mostly drugstore products and some items that I picked up at the local discount beauty supply store. The emphasis should not be on the brand of products, but rather their color, texture, and finish.

 Here is a picture of the inspiration:
 
 Elizabeth was a great beauty indeed. She definitely didn't require as much artifice, as I do, to enhance her famously violet eyes. As I studied several images from the fifties, I noticed that the finish of the products was quite matte and lips an orange toned red. This is consistent with the products available at the time. Remember, this is when Max Factor Pan Cake makeup was still in it's heyday. If you look closely at Liz's eyes you will also notice the old studio trick of applying white eyeliner on her lower waterline. This helps give her a sparkling wide eyed gaze.
 
Let's discuss the face products first, shall we? The base as I mentioned was matte and with a porcelain finish. I used Revlon Colorstay Whipped crème makeup Nude 220- I love this for a retro lady-like finish. I applies like a creamy soufflé and dries to a powdery finish. It also wears like iron and is especially suited to normal to oily skins. If your skin is on the dry side, make sure to moisturize heavily before applying. I used my favorite concealer ever-the Maybelline Dark circle eraser, to brighten the under eye area. I also added a tiny bit of inner tear duct highlight with the Physician's Formula highlighting pen. I set everything with a light dusting of sheer finishing powder. I am using a mineral powder from L'Oreal lately, but you can use your favorite as long as it's matte. I felt like I needed a little extra coverage throughout the middle of my face so I pressed in a little MAC Studio Fix NC15. I added a little dimension to the face with this cool toned brown contour powder. I also added a tiny bit of a matte muted rose blush to the apples of my cheeks.
 
 
 
 
On to the eyes, which are essential to the trademark Liz look. I used Bobbi Brown Rich Brown matte eye shadow to fill my brows in heavily. I picked up a super cheapo eyeshadow palette in purple, and violet tones, along with some fluttery falsies at the beauty supply. Now, this palette was quite thin and chalky, but that is not an obstacle when you layer the shadows over a sticky cream base. I used a little lavender cream from a Wet n' Wild corrector palette. I tightlined my upper lash line with a long wearing Cover Girl Ink It liner in Black. I love this eye liner, as it is bullet proof, very thin, and precise. Next, I applied the false lashes over curled and lightly mascaraed lashes. Curling and applying a preliminary layer of mascara gives the false lashes a better base to grab on to. I then add some more mascara to blend my lashes with the falsies. Last, I carefully rimmed my lower waterline in white pencil, taking care not to smear it on the lower lashes. Almost forgot, the violet eyes! I popped in a pair of colored contacts for effect-no comparison to Elizabeth's glorious eyes.
 
 






 
 
Last, but certainly not least, is the glam red lip. I used a matte lipstick from NYX. The color is called Pure Red, but it definitely leans orange. I used a lip liner from Maybelline in Red to build up my own lips and give them some more oomph. I actually really loved this lipstick as the saturation was intense and the texture smooth and silky. I will be stocking up on these lipsticks in the near future-they are that awesome!


 
Here is a close up of the makeup:

No comments:

Post a Comment