Saturday, August 10, 2013

How to do Blue

Blue eyeshadow is an extremely flattering look on brown eyes. Unfortunately, although most people have brown eyes in the world... blue just doesn't get enough love. I think it's because it can be an intimidating color to work with on the face. I will demonstrate that it is possible to wear blue and appear both tasteful and appropriate.
 









 
I will share a very useful tip with you...when a applying a dark and or colorful eyeshadow look, do your foundation after the eyes are done. Nothing is worse than a foundation sullied by fallout from your shadow....even if you clean it up. Trust me, the finish never looks the same. I used a lovely new foundation sample from Lancome today. I am liking it sooooo much I am going to review for you after I purchase the full size version. I can't recall its name, but it is a new one that comes with a concealer built in to the lid....can you say genius?
The eyes consist of a L'Oreal eye palette called Skinny Jeans, layered over a long lasting cream shadow by Estee Lauder called Blue Velvet. I haven't noticed a lot of buzz on the blogosphere over these little drugstore palettes...but I like them. They have a very pretty, sophisticated color range and they really pop over a quality base like the Estee Lauder's Blue Velvet. It is the layering of textures which gives a makeup a modern
look and feel in stark contrast with my earlier Boogie Blue post. I lined with a Navy liner from Revlon's Colorstay line. I blended the darkest blue shadow over the liner to both set it and deepen it. On lashes L'Oreal Voluminous full definition mascara.... I will write on this in a future My Favorite Things post.

The cheeks are a combination of Estee Lauder's Bronze Goddess bronzer (not pictured) and a couple of MAC shades called Mocha and Margin.
 

I also want to mention a super star little product for those us who aspire to airbrushed, glowing, highlighted, and glorious perfection a la Kim K
Ta Da....
 

 

This product is similar to the much revered YSL Touche Eclat, but at approximately a fourth of the cost. It's called Maybelline Age Rewind concealer....the highlighting shade is a pinkish beige shade called Brightener #60. It really does work wonder to brighten the undereye and upper cheek area. You will look fresh and awake. I believe this retails for about 7 dollars at your local drugstore.
Remember ladies, who cares if its from the drugstore if you look fabulous and the product works well. Nobody needs to know!
 
As for the lips, I wore a soft beigey bronze Creme de Gloss from Dior called Feline Beige... I believe #611. I layered it over an old standby workhorse lipstick by Estee Lauder called Sugar Honey. I will feature this lipstick in later post...I can wax poetic about its versatility and how it just work with just about anything. Another important piece of advice when wearing a heavier eye look...keep the lips and cheeks soft and simple. Otherwise.... think Jerry Hall circa 1981.

1 comment: